GREETINGS, ALL FAMILY & DEAR FRIENDS,
|"CAN' you believe it, Edgels?|
|Oh, dear! They've poisoned our name!|
|Moroni Atop Brisbane's Lovely Temple|
By the looks of the blog, one might think all we do is take river and boat trips, and take pictures. Not so! We are so involved in a great work that is changing lives so incredibly. The Self-Reliance initiative has so many facets that we could never do justice to them all. So we have been assigned 2 stakes in the Brisbane area---the Logan Stake in which we live, and the Redcliffe Stake which is an hour northeast of us on the ocean. Both are far-flung stakes and we are to spend 80% of our time in helping people in these areas. The other 20% of our time will be in the other 11 Brisbane stakes, 2 of which are assigned to the only other Self-Reliance couple, the Osbornes, and the other 7 stakes both couples will work as best we can. Since each stake has about 9-11 units or wards, and about 4 buildings, we have a lot of traveling to do. This week alone, we traveled to Redcliffe on 3 different occasions--Sunday AM to meet with Stake Council, Wednesday for Stake SR Council meeting, and Thursday for us to teach a group of 15 students in the BYU-Idaho institute program and to support their academic pursuits as well in their gathering meetings. So, for a year, 3 semesters, we will travel to the Redcliffe area to teach and support these students in a 2 1/2 hour WONDERFUL program. Some are just beginning their college studies, some are returning after a hiatus, and some have 1 or more degrees and love learning. They range in age from 19 to 56. We are very excited about this opportunity.
|Helping people makes us happy!|
When Bishops identify people who need more education, better work skills, or better jobs then we can assist in getting them the help they need.. Also, anyone who needs help in learning English, we organize those study groups and get them rolling. It is surprising how the Tongan and Samoan people have flocked here. They can't get immediate entry into Australia, but move 1st to New Zealand. After the required time (not sure how long), they can apply to get permanent entry into AU. New Zealand's economy is not strong, so the families often struggle mightily during their stay in NZ. Australia's economy is much better off, but they still find that getting a job can be tough, especially if you have few skills. The older adults often don't feel the need to learn the language, and the middle-aged men realize their days of hard physical labor are numbered, and they want to gain skills to qualify for better work before their bodies give out. They are a gracious and humble people, and so loving and willing to share. We are humbled by their genuineness for they are without pretense.
Another big push here in the Pacific Rim is getting children ready for school with the skills they need. When a need is made known, we can assist in setting up neighborhood Mum's Preschools and facilitate them as they get up and running. Also Study Buddy programs wherein students of all ages, and even adults needing tutoring help can receive the support they need. And a new Initiative is just being rolled out this month--called "Success in School Begins at Home." It's a great aid for parents, grandparents or anyone involved in a school-aged child's life, to learn in a group setting with other parents how to specifically help their children. It is done in a collaborative group setting with a facilitators who are also group members. Topics vary from how to set routines at home to how to prepare for test-taking. These are inspired programs, and the ones which have been around for a few years now are proving to really change lives. We have now been
|Spring is Bursting Out all over--in our own back garden!|
|Backside of Industrial bldg. we passed on freeway--YATES!|
That's the long & short story. Hope all is well for you and yours. We pray for each of you and wish you well in your daily endeavors that we may all be growing in positive directions. Hold your children and family members close to you, and know of our love and respect for all you are--the wonderful people who enrich our lives.
Always with love,
Elder and Sister Yates, David/Dad & Marsha/Mom, Grandparents Yates
0424 351 854